Friday, October 23, 2009

Tundra Trends

"She's modeling the best way to wear a parka-as-a-style-piece: with a sassy outfit underneath (Carhartts). A parka in the City (Village) screams for sky-high heels (yeah, right) and a healthy dose of confidence. Of course her's is super high-end (military issued) but the one from Wikipedia is also pretty sweet in an old school way. If your mum, like mine, lives somewhere in the mid-west, try to steal her's when you're home at Thanksgiving. Maybe the drycleaner can get out that horsey/barn smell? Anyways, I don't really mind the parka but again it's a staple around here rather than a trend." ~Stylebites
Okay this is me in my fancy parka. Ani likes to walk down by Principal Eric's team because that's where all his friends and brother are, so I entertain him once in a while. Today was the first time we've wandered that direction since we've had snow to conveniently disguise the minefield that lies beneath. I appear to be joyously sending out a hug to the world from Quinhagak but the reality is, I am standing in a 2 foot deep hole dug by CT (Ani's brother), one of my principal's trusty sled dogs, which I had only moments before tripped and fallen into as snow was covering the hole creating a boobie trap. I'm actually taking a bow of clutzdom (which is the general state in which I exist). Poetically, I had a couple of students with me while Ani and I were on our evening walk so they were present to capture the moment on film and witness the whole graceful performance. That won't be lived down very soon.

We had teacher in service today so the kids took advantage of our new fallen snow, bundled up and spent the day playing outside.







Ani and CT (his brother) checking to see if I was okay after nearly plummeting to my...waist;)

Shout Out To: My neighbor back in Wisconsin, Larry, who's concern with the environment is noteworthy, I'll be planting a tree as soon as I find fertile ground just to keep you reading the blog;) And to Barb, his lovely wife, whom I was just informed, was on her way out of Marketplace Foods that fateful day the Bear made its way into the liquor store which made her the first person to spot him as he zinged past her on his way in!!!

"He continued this subject with his disciples. "Don't fuss about what's on the table at mealtimes or if the clothes in your closet are in fashion. There is far more to your inner life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body. Look at the ravens, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, carefree in the care of God. And you count far more." Luke 12:22-24

5 comments:

  1. oh my goodness it looks so cold there. we're still in sweater weather in anchorage.
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gwen, It seems like one day it was sweater weather and then next day it was winter. Today it's a little warmer and less windy. Sky is a blanket of gray. I think I just heard a snow go buzz by;) Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kid, You look so bundled up that you probably didn't feel to much when you fell. Anyway, GREAT RECOVERY!!! We are going through the weather change here as our trees are probably at their peak in glorious color, now the leaves will fall and we will have to rake! Always good to read your blog Take Care And May God Bless Always!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Rachel. Discovered your blog site from Jims "Ah Alaska" site.
    I'm a transplant from Quinhagak currently living in Maine. Those kids that are posted are my nephews and niece, Great pics!
    This keeps homesickness at bay,viewing both blog sites and keeping current with whats going on at home. Thanks! Henry and Toni Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Henry and Toni! Glad you are reading and enjoying the blog. I'm loving Quinhagak for ya! I understand your homesickness feeling though, I often find myself staring at pictures of trees:) Your niece and nephews are wonderful kids! I'm so happy to get to know them. Take care and give Maine our best from Quin. Rachel

    ReplyDelete