Wednesday, September 22, 2010

"Gud Morn-Ning Queen-Hawk!"

The moment when you first wake up in the morning is the most wonderful of the twenty-four hours. No matter how weary or dreary you may feel, you possess the certainty that, during the day that lies before you, absolutely anything may happen. And the fact that it practically always doesn't, matters not a jot. The possibility is always there.
~Monica Baldwin

In Quinhagak we have a VHF system. Such that, in nearly every household one can be heard with the the mere pressing of a button. Imagine if you will ice road truckers but instead picture tundra dwelling villagers;) That's us! Just recently Principal Eric purchased VHFs for all teacher housing, yep finally we also are connected to the greater 'cyber'/radio village. It's a whole new world! It's like having a scanner but you can join in the conversation if you so desire. I hear things such as: "Jimmy! time to come home!" " But I want to sleep at upi's." "Jimmy! Time to come home!" Or "Choir practice at the church tonight at 7 for anyone interested." Or "....Many, many words in Yup'ik that I have yet to understand. I catch bits and pieces, but not even enough to be remotely dangerous." However my favorite part (aside from the obvious increased security and safety reasons), is the morning greetings! These are heard and echoed all across the village. Starting around 6:30ish as far as I've noticed and lasting for the next 1/2 or so, early risers eager to meet the new day are spreading their joy greeting everyone by offering a pleasant "Gud Morn-Ning Queen-Hawk! (Good Morning Quinhagak)" over the VHF. I've come to expect and appreciate this sunrise salutation. Replying to only myself and Ani in the same local accent "Quyana! And Gud Morn-ing back at ya! Let today begin!"


Near Anchorage

On the way to school this morning the sky was brilliant! Some days here in Quin as the sun pours down on our beloved Kilbuck Mountain backdrop, it could remind you of the rolling Appalachians. Then other times when the clouds cast darkened shadows about, they take on the more ruggedness of the Himalayas. Oh the mountains in the Quinhagak morning...so unreachable but such a part of my life up here. I kind of have an ongoing conversation with them, so close and so foreign. I need a four wheeler or a snowmobile, but my fear? It would inevitably break down and I would not be able to fix it, or I would get it and have to go by myself. So for this time in my life I've settled to quietly gaze at the mountains, occasionally remembering times other mountains have been closer and imagining hopefully that someday they will be again. Until then, I will continue to inhale this incredible expanse of sprawling tundra and sea letting it be part of who I am.
Near Quinhagak

God's loyal love couldn't have run out, his merciful love couldn't have dried up. They're created new every morning. How great your faithfulness! I'm sticking with God (I say it over and over). He's all I've got left.
Lamentations 3:22-24

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    So your little village is looking pretty nice right now! School is overwhelming and I think that Quin might just be the spot to run away to! Of course, I don't like to fly, so........hmm. Anyways, sounds like things are going good for you. Take Care, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. "but i want to sleep at apii's" hahahahhaha, make me laugh so hard.. sometimes i miss the vhf

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOOD MORNING KID!!!!! Good luck to you this weekend at your cross country meet!! We just got back from two weeks in the Tetons and Yellowstone. Lots of hiking and beautiful scenery. Gotta go my bicycle is calling, since I haven't ridden in three weeks!!! Go Seahawks!!! Blessings Always!!!

    ReplyDelete