Friday, April 1, 2011

April Already??!


"If the sign of a cluttered mind is a cluttered desk, of what, then,
is an empty desk a sign?"
~Albert Einstein

My Desk

My Partner in Crime's Desk
Nuff said:)

Get Off The Road










The Alaska I drove to is on the left. The Alaska I could only fly to is on the right. My advice to all you adventure seekers, Alaska bound explorers, you in pursuit of something different, something real: This is what I'll tell you "Get Off The Road" find the path less traveled by and fly it! Anya and I were discussing this topic exactly while she was here working in Quin and staying at my house last week. (Aside: Thank you for the steak Anya) So those of us who consider a bush plane our 'honda civic' also refer to Anchorage with it's surrounding cities perched all along Alaska's few highways and byways, "the road system. Around this time of year when everyone is shuffling jobs trying to figure out if they are staying in 'the bush' or headed 'to the road system' one finds oneself attempting to imagine life differently than this simple hearty way we've been enjoying. "You going 'to the road system'?" you might be asked. "Yes, I'm looking for something on the road system," someone might inform you. Point being if you want to experience an Alaska like no Princess Cruise could ever dream of sharing with you, meet a people who will welcome you like coming home, be somewhere that can never be replicated and Lord willing will never disappear then you have to "Get Off The Road:)"


Instead get in the plane,
get on the four wheel,
get in the boat,
get on the dog sled,
get in the skijoring harness,
get on the snow go...
whatever it is just
'Get Off The Road.'
I dare you:)


Tak, Ani and I went for a jor down to the the beach tonight to the back drop of a stunning sunset starting to sink in to the sea. We stopped long enough to hear the ice cracking. Ani ran like I've never seen him, I'm pretty sure he was training Tak. So fast that I was having a hard time keeping up on my skis and biffed at least 6 times! He was working hard. Tak was suited in his oversized harness and galloping along behind trying to keep up. I was so proud of them.


And where else in the world can you answer a knock at your door at 10:00 at night only to find two smiling proud boys wanting to share their most recent hunting success "You want a rabbit?" Jacob offers holding out the still warm fuzzy future meal to me. "We had a super good day!" Andrew joined excitedly "Look we have our guns on the four wheel." (I peek over his shoulder and nod with affirmation). "I shot three," he added. "Yep!" chirped Jacob still holding the rabbit toward me. "You want it?!" they asked again almost in unison. "Wow! Guys, what great hunters you are! Of course I want it. Quyana, my heroes! Just one thing...Can I freeze it first?" (not wanting to perform the obvious right at that moment). "Yep, you can freeze it. And you just peel the skin, cut it here and take out the guts when you want to eat it and it's easier to skin frozen anyway. Yep, we want to give our extra rabbits to old people," Andrew shared as he motioned where to cut the belly. "Well is that ever good of you," I try to sound encouraging and not disappointed, "Alright then this old girl, I can't wait! Yum, thank you so much!" I smile taking the warm bunny into my hand, Tak and Ani bouncing around excitedly at my feet. They smile satisfied and head back to their four wheel Jacob yells, "Even you're not old." Relieved I close the door, rabbit in hand, "Not for you boys," I scold my dogs as they jump at the hare flopping around in my hand while I head for the freezer. Humm, looks like rabbit stew is on the menu next week. I'll let you know how it goes:) Oh, I'm gonna miss these kids.

Shout Out To My FAMILY: Dad, Mom, Sam and Josh Happy Birthdays on April 8th, 16th, 16th and 29th. I love love love love you! And Kimmie and Auntie Bean, lots of April bdays in our family.

My Harley Riding Parents



Sammie and Joshie
My Boy Scout Brothers






"What I'm interested in seeing you do is: sharing your food with the hungry, inviting the homeless poor into your homes, putting clothes on the shivering ill-clad, being available to your own families. Do this and the lights will turn on, and your lives will turn around at once. Your righteousness will pave your way. The God of glory will secure your passage. Then when you pray, God will answer. You'll call out for help and I'll say, 'Here I am.'" Isaiah 58:6

No comments:

Post a Comment