Thursday, July 9, 2009

All Over a Bowl of Granola

At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.
~Albert Schweitzer, French Theologian, 1875-1965


I had some great conversation today over a bowl of granola, right after about a 6 mile run with my new friend Drew, along the infamous Tony Knowles Coastal Trail (http://www.akhs.atfreeweb.com/Hikes/CoastalTrail.htm) from Earthquake Park (http://www.anchorage.net/822.cfm). I met Drew or rather Drew met us (the whole crew) hiking up Mount Baldy the other day. Turns out he runs too and was up for showing us some new trails. We ran today around 10 am to 'avoid' the heat of the day. My confession? I haven't been getting up here until around noon. I know, I know, but I stay awake until 3 am! Yes, this is my problem. Anyway, his suggestion that we run at 10 am sounded like a great way to help me reverse this sleep cycle I've put myself in. What an interesting and inspiring person he is. I love how God just ushers people right into your life when you need them, He always seems to be doing that with me and I'm so humbled and grateful. Oh, but the more amazing people He fills your life with, I'm learning the deeper and larger you feel the loss and pain of leaving. A funny thing, the other day I took down the pictures of friends and family that I had temporarily set on the mantle of our completely unfurnished apartment, and packed them to send on ahead to Quinhagak. Well, as I was mailing the 10th box!! which contained the pictures I nearly jumped across the counter to grab it back wanting to plead with the postal lady,"No! Wait! Not that one it has all my pictures! I'm not ready to let them go!" I refrained from making a spectacle but felt a little sick to my stomach. Later that same day while visiting with my high school friend Ang (we go waaaaay back and I'm soooooo thankful to have her here) I got a package! Aren't packages wonderful, don't they just make you feel like a little kid Christmas morning?? Well, that's how I felt, it was from my sweet friend Amy, a picture of us with the word "FRIENDS" at the top. Holding back the tears I blubbered to Ang about how one of the pictures I had hesitently sent on to Quinhagak earlier that day had the word "FRIENDS" on it, and that one in particular made me think of everyone back home and smile when I looked at it. So it was as if God quickly replaced what I had to let go. He sometimes does that in life. Meeting Drew has been like that. It has reminded me of how blessed I am to have hands down, the absolutely most wonderfulest bunch of truest, lovingest, inspiringest, amazingest friends and family a girl could ever hope and pray for. My cup overflowth! Just when I was missing yas so much He planted another wonderful person in my path, I know to help ease the hurt, and I hope He's planting wonderful people all over your paths! Whether a friend from long ago or from just today everyone one of you is near and dear to me. I shared this with my precious friends at school before we all parted for the summer, it is true for all of you: "I'm not going on this wild northern journey alone...I'm taking everyone with me!" It is why I have this blog:) So I can take you with me. I smile knowing that if it weren't for you, whom God has so perfectly placed in my life, I wouldn't be the person I am, able to do the things I'm doing! This is sorta a sappy one but I just have to say it cause I miss and love you guys. Thank you for pouring each of your unique gifts into my life, I cherish each and every one. I thank God for email, cell phones, pens paper, beautiful decorated envelops and Raisin Bran cereal boxes (thank you Lauren;)

"Every time you cross my mind, I break out in exclamations of thanks to God. Each exclamation is a trigger to a prayer. I find myself praying for you with a glad heart." Philippians 1:3

1 comment:

  1. Those who are a blessing to others, get blessed in return. You are the type of friend you have described above. You are blessed, my friend, because you are a remarkable, lovable, genuine woman. I know I can speak for us all, when I say we are all better people because you are in our lives. Enjoy every moment of your adventure.

    Sending love,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete