Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Navigator


Kincaid Park


If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.” -Lewis Carroll


There is no such thing as just 'a walk in the park' in Alaska, if the bears and moose don't get ya then the loyal attack dog faithfully jogging along side its master will. Today we hiked all over Kincaid Park http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kincaid_Parkrg/wiki/Kincaid_Park. No major wildlife encounters beyond the occasional mutt;)



Mom posing with a whale skeleton outside the Kincaid Visitor Center.

"Can you hear me now?" This is a pic of my friend Ann telling me about her getting a job in Bethel for the same district as I will be teaching in. Wild! She will be an itinerant counselor so I'm not sure if she'll be servicing the village I am in or not. We shall see. There are actually people swimming the lake behind me as training for local triathlons. Maybe I should be getting pointers from them eh, Geri?

How we ever get anywhere around this city with me driving is a wonder. I've had so many people tell me Anchorage is easy to navigate but I beg the differ. It remains a mystery to me. Mom just rolls her eyes and snickers when I give my 2 cents about which direction we should go. I've come to approach finding my way around here much like those artists who just throw paint at the canvas. I'm sure my trig/calc professor from college would suggest I attempt it much the same as I did my weekly tests as well. I just kinda drive into the city hoping for the best and figuring eventually if I make enough turns I'll get somewhere recognizable. I've made it back to home base every time, that counts for something. I admit I am not a navigational genius by any stretch, my internal compass is seriously flawed;)
"This is what the LORD says: Stand at the crossroads and look;
ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is,
and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls." Jeremiah 6:16

No comments:

Post a Comment