Monday, July 13, 2009

Invite Life!

Hi Everybody!

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it." ~ Danny Kaye

Greetings! From the already getting darker every night land of the midnight sun! They say summer goes fast and apparently they aren't kidding. Since solstice we lose about 4 minutes of light per day and we are definitely noticing it. We almost have total darkness from about 1 am to 2:30 am. Our endless daylight is melting away! But we got to see the full moon, I forgot about the moon. Wow time is flying, it has already been one month since I left and I leave for Quinhagak in 2 weeks.
So what have your neighbors to the north been up to lately???
Hum, Mom and I have continued to check out local hiking spots such as: Potter's Marsh - http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index.cfm?adfg=alaska_guide.potter (not my personal favorite). I found you pretty much fight foot traffic on a 1/2 mile long boardwalk built over the marsh, while trying to avoid bumping into the die hard bird watchers who occasionally forget to look beyond their binocs, granted there are many avian friends to spy so I don't blame them one bit;)

We cruised around Eagle River Nature Center http://www.ernc.org/ which also happens to be the finishing point of the Crow Pass Crossing Race that Sam and I are hoping to get into next weekend. So many flowers! I thought I'd share them with you. Unfortunately I can offer no names as I have no idea what most of them are called so feel free to let me know;) A lot will look familiar to all ya'll in WI and MN.


This is the Alaska State Flower

Captain Skylar paddled me around Mirror Lake one hot day!http://www.cer.org/prkncamp.htm What a treat! Even though we had to keep one eye on the float plane landing strip which coincidentally happened to be most of the lake. Still not sure what our plan was if we found that someone was landing? Praying for observant pilots I guess:)


Mirror Lake


We attended the Bear Paw Festival http://www.bearpawfestival.org/ this weekend in Eagle River. They had everything from a 5k race (I jumped in about 10 mins before the start), a fair, and all kinds of main stage events to the community parade (in which Skylar skated with his hockey team). The whole town comes out. Reminded me of home.



Hockey Player Skylar (Above) The Video is a Sample of the Local Talent at the Bear Paw Fest

Finally we decided tonight we should probably check out the first 3 uphill miles (everyone warns that part is the toughest) of the Crow Pass Crossing Race we might (I hope please pray) be running this weekend. So with full camel backs and Drew as our guide off we went to Girdwood to trek up those first 3 grueling miles to the Crow Pass http://www.aktrailhead.com/crowpass/crowpass.shtml. Since announcing our desire to attempt this race we have heard urban legends that we need to make it there within an hour or we will be disqualified from the race. Even if we don't make it I think we should keep going, the views this evening were gorgeous:) From there we hit the Moose's Tooth for the best pizza in town! If you ever get up this way I highly recommend the 'Backpacker' pizza;)




"What a wildly wonderful world, God! You made it all, with wisdom at Your side, made the whole earth overflow with your wonderful creations." Psalm 104:24

No comments:

Post a Comment