Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Da Bears!

"This...whatever-it-was...has now been joined by another...whatever-it-is... and they are now proceeding in company. Would you mind coming with me, Piglet, in case they turn out to be very hostile animals." ~Winnie the Pooh



Word travels quickly. You could almost hear it whispering it's way down the hall today.
Steph reported that the kids came in from recess growling. I knew it would catch me at some point. It finally whooshed past and taunted me in the form of Jim's strategic line of questions, "You been carrying your gun when you're running lately? You been running by the beach?" not waiting for my reply he confirmed, "They just saw one by the wind turbines. The bears are back."

Again I confess my extreme bear-phobia (acceptance is the first step)...this is one reason why I relish winter...Then why bear country Alaska you may ask? Great question! That's God for ya...take ya right to the source of your greatest fear, make ya stare it right straight into its beady little eyes then goes and carries you through it in spite of yourself. Anyway, I didn't want to admit this story but in lieu of today's news I will humor you, literally. Sunday I did in fact go for a run down the beach, and it is true that I packed my gun. It is also accurate that Ani and I did make a very abrupt, unplanned 180 when in the distance ahead of us there were 2 unidentifiable dark masses possibly moving. I did not care to confirm movement just wheeled an about face, howled out a courteous 'We're here bears!!!' over my shoulder and headed outa Dodge. Quickly realized Ani and I were upwind from the masses and may not have been noticed. Assuming this was the case, heart racing, I fumbled around for the 44 in my camel back then made a split second decision to proceed 'running away' by sloshing straight across the tundra toward the road (hoping for traffic). Take a moment to picture this scene if you will, for humor's sake: Calamity Jane Gone Wrong and her trusty side kick Odie stumbling through ice cold puddles of squishy moss at a snail's pace, like out of one of those nightmares where you're being chased but can't run. Yep, I prefer to believe that Ani and I were running from a couple logs. So today's latest information sunk right to the pit of my stomach. Ugh. Okay, I still can't confirm it for sure so I'll fall back again on the ignorantly blissful fact that some things are better left unknown or mere figments of my overly active imagination. Nothing like a little adrenaline rush to pick up the workout intensity.


The whales are passing through too. If you have good binocs and can scope the correct horizon Grace says you can see them.

"Lions roar and bears charge..." Proverbs 28:15

No comments:

Post a Comment