Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hola, From the Northern Tropics

"It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!"
~Mark Twain

Wherever you go, go with all your heart. ~Confucius


The last few days in the last frontier have been blustery, blizzardy and wet. All mixed up into one great big puddle of tundra mud. If that's any indication as to what is to come, I'll be getting my money's worth out of my handy dandy Xtra Tufs. I purchased these 'made in the USA able to withstand the worst of Alaskan weather' mud boots while in Anchorage last summer before I came up to Quin. It is so strange to look back on the last year, maybe even stranger yet, the year before. Trying to prepare to make the move to the 'bush' and having absolutely no idea what to expect or how to get ready for it. I had to chuckle as I tromped across the tufts of still frozen moss this afternoon while Ani and went walking. This has become our 'backyard' trotting through the seasons and now into spring, hopefully. Anyway I was thinking about that concert we went to out in Girdwood when we were in Anchorage back in March. Everyone there was wearing Carhartts and Xtra Tufs. Jim, Steph and I wondered if there was some kind of dress code that we missed. Apparently in Anchorage Xtra Tufs are also a fashion statement. Not that they aren't here, they definitely are, I mean just look at these stylin rubber boots! Steph even got me super cute socks you wear with them to dress them up...picture will come later. I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate them into my prom attire;)
Village Hopping! We didn't go to Eek last weekend. We are going to try to go this weekend. They are having a big basketball tournament, ha, maybe Steph and I can jump in on a team. Wish Ani luck, he'll be flying the friendly skies for his very first time. He's still not too sure about the whole 'kennel' idea. I've been feeding him in it. So what he has figured out??? If he keeps his back feet firmly planted on the outside the kennel while reaching into the back where the food is and eating it from this stretched position, he is rescued from actually having to be in the kennel. There is some kind of analogy to life there, for me anyway. But it's too profound to have to think about right now.

We finished our 2nd Beth Moore Bible Study on the Fruits of the Spirit. Our little group up here has really been enjoying and growing from those studies. They require a lot of reading and digging in the bible, learning, sharing and thinking. We are ordering our final one for this year and are already excited about next year's. We would recommend Beth's Studies to any women's groups out there, they are solid and deep! Great stuff.

Finally they call themselves "Michael's Angel's" Quyana Mike for the bracelets and shades. We are putting them to good use:) The girls came over after school so we watched "The Great Outdoors" and dressed up pretending that it was summer time, hence the sunglasses.

As you might recall my kitchen drain was frozen the entire time MIke was visiting so this is how we emptied it after washing dishes.






A few more pics
from Mike. These are the kids waiting on my porch to 'visit' after school while he was here. I was conveniently at work until 5 or 6 that particular day;)


Some of the kids posing. Endless tundra and sea behind.

The school parking lot, four wheelers and snow gos!

Shout Out To: Mum and Sammie! Happy Birthdays (28 and 53 respectively!) on the 16th! Love you and miss you so much!
I can see clearly now the dark is gone.
It is 10:00 pm and looks like it's maybe 5:00 pm. The Midnight Sun is definitely upon us here in Quinhagak, Alaska. Lots of Light! And that is a blessing. This verse seems to fit and made me smile... someday.

"What a Day that will be! No more cold nights—in fact, no more nights! The Day is coming—the timing is God's—when it will be continuous day. Every evening will be a fresh morning."
Zechariah 14:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment