Sunday, October 3, 2010

"Brrr, it's cold here." -Swan In My Freezer

Every individual has a place to fill in the world and is important in some respect whether he chooses to be so or not. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne
The Swan

Before the Race

2nd Annual Salmon Run goes off without a hitch.
Quinhagakers at your marks, get set, GO! And they were outa the blocks, during the 1/2 mile kids race they were off in such a speeding stampede that they bulldozed Jim (resident photographer strategically situated in the middle of the road in an attempt to get some great start shots) right over. His plan didn't quite go the way he imagined and he was trampled by 75 sprinting 4 to 10 year olds. He survived and so did his camera miraculously. I'm happy to report that in the men's race one of our own CC runners took the gold, Connie's nephew, Olin took the silver and again one of our CC runners took the bronze! In the women's race the gold medalist wasn't even a CC runner, how she sneaked by not being on the team I'm not sure. The silver medalist was our very own school secretary Karen and taking home the bronze was none other than our Special Education Teacher Extraordinaire Connie! (Janet you should be proud, family on the podium in both the men's and women's race) Nobody even complained about relentless driving snowstorm they were running through. It was exhilarating! Quyana Sherry for all the hard work, organizing and orchestrating this exciting community event!Just before Jim was stampeded over by the enthusiastic racers.

The Winner's Circle


Green House being built in a math classroom nowhere near you. Yep, when Dennis isn't teaching students about algebra or trapping you will see his building trades class trotting by carrying entire walls of the green house into his math classroom. He says within a week or two Sherry's Jenny Jones Green House will be up and ready for plant life.

Beadwork Fridays back by popular demand. Thank you Dennis and Marsha. Made some cute black earrings and started a window decorations Friday night. Didn't want to overwhelm Dennis with the half finished beaver/lynx hat I'm (we're) still working on. Maybe I'll (we'll) finish it before this winter is over.

Barthelman Theaters Now Playing: Cold Climate Housing crew joined us over at Jim and Steph's Saturday night for a movie. Steph and Jim provide the big screen the guys provided the movie. The Cinema of choice was Sherlock Holmes.

What NOT to do When Planning to Run a Marathon
1. Register 3 weeks before the race.
2. Start training the day after you register.
3. Anything I might suggest (sorry Christopher Lewis...)

So as number 2 suggests I hit the road to the Arolik River with grand aspirations of 15 miles when all was said and run. After only 8 grueling sets of 5327 feet I wanted to curl up along side the road and take a nap. I was exhausted. Somehow I managed to slog out another 2 miles, that's when my watch quit. I decided it was a sign and did the same. I walked the rest of the way home. What does this mean for my 26 mile goal on the the 23rd...a mere 20 days away???? Stay tuned. On a warmer note the weather this weekend was much less blizzardlike than Friday, and far more suitable for running, trotting, walking or whatever...just general get outside and do something kind of weather. So both Saturday and today so I got some great pics and enjoyed the sunshine despite the self inflicted fatigue. Steph even joined me pedaling along to the beach and back.








Tea For 5

The kids visited Sunday morning. We had an impromptu tea party with cocoa.They decorated all by themselves...

...and dressed themselves.

This is the adorable view out my kitchen window.
How's the view out yours?


"Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek his will in all you do,
and he will show you which path to take."
Proverbs 3:5-6

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rach! You're right,I AM proud of my 2 family members! I always say, "Go for the gold!...or silver...or bronze!" =) Just go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I was just cleaning out the "decoration closet" (aka, the place where everything gets thrown, even if it isn't a decoration!) and I came across a package addressed to you!!!!!! I have to open it and make sure I didn't have anything that may have expired in it. (Somehow, this kinda stuff happens a lot- good intentions, but nothing gets finished)
    Anyways, I wanted to let you know, I had some creepy comments on the old blog, so I took it down and made one specific for the adoption. www.johnsonsadopt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, Katie you sound just like me! I've several decoration closets and drawers! Yikes. Oh well it is the thought that counts after all;) No worries:) hope all is well for you guys! Rach

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, out our windows - to the west, I look at part of our back yard, apple trees, the pump house, the machine shed,... if I look out the south windows, I look over an alfalfa field, the woods on the south edge of the farm, I can see Flambeau mountain to the sw - where the Chippewa and Flambeau Rivers converge, and I can see two of our neighbors places - one is a farm, another a house. Our warm weather continues - it was in the 80's all weekend. Today was in the high 70's. It will cool off Wednesday but still in the 60's. Watching the Jets and the Vikings play tonight.

    ReplyDelete