Thursday, March 18, 2010

You Are Never Too Young... To MUSH

"The path to our destination is not always a straight one, Ed. We go down the wrong road, we get lost, we turn back. Maybe it doesn't matter which road we embark on. Maybe what matters is that we embark."
- Leonard to Ed, Northern Exposure

As I mentioned before I've been wrestling with my decision to leave Alaska and return to Wisconsin or stay. Our contracts are out up here and we have until March 31st. No pressure, right. I've picked everyone's brain, I've argued one point and debated for the other (thank you to my poor friends and family who have so patiently listened to me try to convince myself of both). I've tried to imagine one scenerio then dream up the other. The problem is that one can't imagine the unimaginable. I asked Gram (who will be getting out of rehab tomorrow) what she thought I should do since she is so much of the reason I would return 'down states' to Wisconsin. "Well, Rachel no one can make that decision but you. I'll pray you'll figure it out. Stop worrying about it. You'll know. God will show you."

It's strange those Alaskas in our lives...for as long as I can remember I've wanted to move to this Last Frontier. Like so many dreams it kind of became one of those 'things you always hope to do but know realistically it will never happen' something like, someday I'll climb Mount Everest or go to the moon etc.... But suddenly like God unlocking a secret passage way I knew nothing about, the door opened and with equal amounts of fear and anticipation I ventured in. Then God met me here, so now...do I turn and try to go back where I came from or do I see what more He might have for me in this place He set in my heart from before the beginning. Right or wrong turns, which way do I go...


Or maybe I should just scrap the whole thing and have a try at professional basketball;)



It has been very springful these last few days again. Sherry and I took the dogs and went for a jor out on the Bering (smooth sailing).







Today Sherry harnessed up their dog Comet (a pup they got from one of Martin Buser's dogs) and Einer made his village mushing debut in the tundra behind teacher housing.
You can see him talking to his fans just like a pro. It was quite a sight, Sherry running along with Comet who was harnessed to the Einer-sized sled that Principal Eric built him. Einer proudly standing on his sled hollering out commands followed by 3 or 4 neighbor kids running along to get in on the action and finally Addy snuggled into her jogging stroller being pushed by another one of the kids. And we call it the mushing caravan. Sherry was laughing, and said that earlier today it was the same scenario except she was carrying Addy!!!






Took the fifth graders skiing again.
What a beautiful day!










Ani and I just emerged from our quarterly bathing match successfully. He surfaces squeaky clean and I sopping wet. The bathroom looks like someone hosed it down and the drain is full of fur.

Here is Jerilyn's dog, Snuggles, lounging around.
Just like the rest of us,
she decided to take advantage of the ever increasing evening sun
.


Shout out to: BrookE and Tanya on the 23rd!!! Happiest Birthdays to both of you chicas! I miss ya soooooo much.

"This is the way God put it: They found grace out in the desert, these people who survived the killing. Israel, out looking for a place to rest,
met God out looking for them! God told them, "I've never quit loving you and never will. Expect love, love, and more love!" Jeremiah 31:2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment