Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Today On The Tundra

"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"
"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"
"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.
Pooh nodded thoughtfully.
"It's the same thing," he said.
The 5th graders chose to have their 'Celebration Day' outside partaking in a bit of cross country skiing. The warm days have taken a toll on our snow but the 'snow go' trails are still hard packed once we made our way to them.






Wind Energy

Remember I told ya Quin was going green by bringing in some wind turbines. Here they are! The three new trees sprouting out of our tundra. Snapped these last night on my run. Yes, I stopped;)

And The Celebration Goes On
...
The girls came over this evening and vested their more fitting attire. Before I knew it there was a full blown wedding in the living room. By process of elimination I was volunteered to be the photographer and a guest. Anya is here for a few days working at the school so she was an invited guest too. Captured some great shots of the bride standing on my couch tossing her 'bouquet';)

Move over fishing line here comes something realer (not a word, I know)
Farewell to my rigged up fishing line holding my shower curtain. Last fall when I first got here I realized that I didn't have shower curtain holders to go with my shower curtain so I improvised. Anya however had gotten me a civilized set of holders back in November and was quite disappointed to see that I had still not yet updated my shower curtain situation. She took the matter into her own hands.

Trout Anyone?
Michael's Uppi (Grampa in Yu'pik, help me out here Deanna am I spelling that right?) gave me some fresh Kanektok River Rainbow Trout the other day. They have been cozy and frozen in my fancy new freezer in the arctic entry but tonight Anya and I cooked some up, and feasted. Yum. Quyana Mr. Paul Trader, the fish were delicious:)

THis is THe truTH
Oh, I have to share the story of Chuck with yas. So there we were, plugging away on our reading assignment when we came to that dreaded 'th' sound. Stop for a moment and make that sound please. So Chuck just really struggles with that darn 'th' and we (the other 4 students in his class and I) were all cheering him on,"Come on Chuck you can do it. 'th', 'th', 'th'" we were all spitting all over the place and Chuck was 'th-ing' his little heart out as best he could. Then one of us said "Eureka! CHUCK, we got it! You just need to bite your tongue Chuck! Start out saying it with all your teeth on your tongue, Chuck!!!" And you know, he basically got it, not gonna lie I almost laughed aloud as his adorable chubby face contorted with all the concentration and effort involved in trying to form his mouth around that darn 'th'! There we were sitting around the table chanting, "Bite your tongue, Chuck! You can do it! TH, TH, TH!" I'm sure Principal Eric must shake his head and wonder at our tactics but we have fun and we accomplish more that way.

Winter Sunsets on the Bering Sea


Shout Out To: Melissa Dawn! Happy 34th Birthday on the 17th!!! Only 14 years ago you were 20;) And to John Teddy Roberts up here in Quinhagak! Happy Birthday!

"For Jesus doesn't change - yesterday, today, tomorrow, he's always totally himself."
Hebrews 13:8

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Rachel! I had a great Birthday! Just wish I didn't miss your call! Let me know the best time to call for yours! Love and Miss you! When are you coming home??????
    Missy

    ReplyDelete