Saturday, May 22, 2010

Anchored Down in Anchorage...

"...And you know you're in the largest state in the union when you're anchored down in Anchorage, Alaska..." ~Michelle Shock
Ani taking in the view from the top of Mount Baldy in Eagle River

As you can see, the fog lifted in Quinhagak and we made it into Bethel then on to Anchorage! Ani freaked out on the 207 ride into Bethel from Quin. I felt like the worst mom! He was howling and crying. It literally scared the crap out of him. The pilot looked at me, I shrugged and offered,"It's his first plane ride ever. He's never left the village. Give a dog a break." We basked in the waft all the way to Bethel, pilot even cracked the window, lol. The great pilots at Haagland totally hooked me up with a bucket of water and soap. Yuck. But we got everything cleaned up. Wandered around Bethel and finally loaded on the big plane. I have no idea how everything went for Ani in the cargo compartment, but on a good note there were several other dogs traveling that day too, so he wasn't alone. We met Geri in the airport as she flew in about an hour before us. What perfect way to touchdown in ANC INT'L! Ang picked the whole herd of us up. Josh and his friend Chris met us at Humpy's for supper. I was giddy with joy to be around family and friends in a place with green trees, mountains and weather that involves flip flops and tank tops!
Ang and Aliva, Mio, Geri Lynn, and Joshie

We've been busy making multiple Wal-Mart runs on one of which I purchased my snazzy new wheels for next year in Quin! A genuine duplicated Mongoose Mountain Bike, it should be on its way north already. We highlighted hair. I should have recorded all the conversation between Ang and Geri as I was at their mercy. Geri volunteers,"I'll do this side, I've never done this before." Ang responds,"Sure, opps I think I missed a piece, ahh, no matter its on the bottom layer you won't even see it. I don't think." Meanwhile I just grab another slice of pizza and pray.

We have eaten out several times. Josh and I took Geri and Ani on their first hike up Mount Baldy.
On the way back down Josh discovered a quicker route, not to mention a whole lot more fun! We threw caution to the wind, plopped down on our behinds and slid all the way to the bottom. From the road you could look up the mountain and see our butt prints perfectly. Which reminds me of a great poem someone sent me once...


Buttprints In The Sand
(or in our case snow)


One night I had a wondrous dream,
One set of footprints there was seen,
The footprints of my precious Lord,
But mine were not along the shore.

But then some strange prints appeared,
And I asked the Lord, "What have we here?"
Those prints are large and round and neat,
"But Lord, they are too big for feet."

"My child," He said in somber tones,
"For miles I carried you along.
I challenged you to walk in faith,
But you refused and made me wait."

"You disobeyed, you would not grow,
The walk of faith, you would not know,
So I got tired, I got fed up,
And there I dropped you on your butt."

"Because in life, there comes a time,
When one must fight, and one must climb,
When one must rise and take a stand,
Or leave their butt prints in the sand."

~Author Unknown

Geri and I acting our age!!!!

Yesterday Geri made Ani and I run up the road to Mount Baldy, shockingly we made it! 4 miles up mountain. About 1/4 of the way up Ani took his usual position on the gang line and fell behind me creating 'drag' not what I wanted as I huffed and puffed vertically. So Ironwoman Geri offered to take over. Relief, at least for me, lol. Ang picked us up at the top, otherwise I'd have been looking for another slide down! Today it is sunshiny and gorgeous so I'm typing in the front yard. We will start packing up the car today and hit the 3500 mile road tonight or tomorrow morning: gas can (check), fix a flat (check), tire plugs (check)...okay we're ready to roll! It has been great getting to run around Anc again. Thanks Ang and Brandon for welcoming us in. Speaking of, Ang just served up delicious pancakes with strawberries and whip cream. That's my cue, gotta eat;) Caio! Or maybe I should say "Chow!;)"

Peter invited them in and made them feel at home. The next morning he got up and went with them. Acts 10:23

2 comments:

  1. still in anchorage?
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gwen!

    I'm sorry I was only in Anc for a few days! Come visit in Wisconsin! I hope you are having a beautiful summer.

    ReplyDelete