Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!!!

There's nothing like a mama-hug.
~Terri Guillemets

Picture provided by Anya, Rhonda and Alberta are my featured mothers:)
They are friends of ours from back home in Wisconsin!
Grandson, Gramma and Great Gram.

Miigwech Rhonda and Alberta. Happy Mother's Day.

From Near Freezing Bethel, Alaska 36 degrees, overcast and just dying to snow. I had training on Friday. So I giddily flew in with Jerilyn Thursday night on a caravan (10 seater) a monster compared to the usual 207s, what a treat! Anya was out in Toksook Bay until Saturday but graciously got her keys to me so I could settle into her cozy apartment. No kids knocking, no four wheelers roaring by, no barking dogs, no Ani wanting to push me off the couch or be let out, it was almost too quiet, somethings were missing. I quickly got over that and by Saturday had completed seized the day(s) sleeping in until NOON! That never happens but opportunity knocked! We had a couple of high 50 degree days (Thursday and Friday) but...yesterday (Sat) as I couldn't wait to get out on the boardwalks and pavement for my long run to the airport, (fun to see all kinds of cars and trucks driving by not the usually 0ne or two four wheelers) about an hour into the run, the temps in Bethel plummeted from 50 to 30 degrees! I froze!!!!!!! Stupidly as though I have not just spent the last 12 months in ALASKA I left Anya's in only my t-shirt and lined running pants rolled up. I survived but not without entering the first stages of hypothermia by the time I tried to will my numb fingers to open the door to her apartment. One must be prepared for any kind of weather, which makes going for a run not as simple as you'd expect.

Did the Bethel thing. Ate sushi 2 times this weekend at VIP. Walked all over, cabbed back. Shopped at Sammy's Market for good deals on random food items. Shopped at AC for whatever Sammy's didn't have (such as hairspray and gel for prom). Shopped at Swanson's for paint and floodlights. Principal Eric approved a new paint job in my house! Yay! I'm hoping to get it done before leaving in 10 DAYS!!!!!!! Did you read that right? 10 days and I'm on my way home! Officially completing my first year teaching in 'the bush', rural Alaska! I couldn't have done it without the encouragement of YOU all and my wonderful friends in Quinhagak and most of all God. He's amazing. It's gonna take me all summer to even begin to process this experience, just in time to return for round two in early August.

Anya and I went to the Lion's Club Mother's Day breakfast this morning then to church at Bethel Evangelical Covenant. They gave us flowers at both places, even at my confessing that I'm not a 'mother' and trying to give back the pretty roses. They assured me they weren't discriminating between current mom's and future mom's. Hum, I smiled. In that case, "thank you and I hope so". Hind sight though, made me wonder it I had gained more weight over the winter than I realized looking down to make sure I could still see my feet.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you beautiful "moms". You know, we all need a lot of moms in our lives. It takes a village of moms, doesn't it? Think about all the wonderful mom(s) God has blessed you with through your life. Wise, loving, intelligent women who step into your life at just the right time to give you needed mom-ing. I know that to be so true for me starting with my own mom and grams then carrying over to my aunties, my friend's moms, my older and wiser friends, my neighbors, sometimes a complete stranger. You just never know when God will send you a mom and what a precious blessing when He does. Thanks to all you Moms!Anya and her Toksook Mom, Bertha Lincoln

Up and coming events in Quinhagak! This week we have prom and graduation on Friday. Channel 2 News anchor out of Anchorage, Megan Baldino, has accepted the invitation to be the speaker at our graduation so it will be exciting to have a celebrity in Quin.

Ani and I will be really busy this next weekend cleaning and finishing up stuff. He is in for a ride. Literally, he's never been in a kennel for very long, never on a plane or in a car or in a city. Lol, this is gonna be interesting! I'm considering drugging him...any ideas. Pray for us.

Shout Out To: My friend Erin here in Bethel who just graduated with her Master's on Friday! Congratulations Erin!

"Good friend, follow your father's good advice; don't wander off from your mother's teachings. Wrap yourself in them from head to foot; wear them like a scarf around your neck. "
Proverbs 6:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment